Vaginal tissue becomes sensitive when it is severely atrophied, inflamed, or injured. It can be sensitive to anything, even to water.
Even though NeuEve delivers natural nutrients, like vitamins, and nothing is harmful, women with severe atrophy may be sensitive to these nutrients if delivered at a higher amount.
This article explains why:
Therefore, we have developed 6 phases of NeuEve formulas that deliver different concentrations of nutrients suitable for women of different ages and health conditions to relieve vaginal itching, dryness, atrophy, painful sex & UTIs.
These are (from mild to strong):
1. Sensitive Cream - for women over 70 or highly sensitive.
2. Sensitive Silk suppository - for women over 70 or highly sensitive.
3. Vulva Balm Cream - for postmenopausal women under 70.
4. Silk formula suppository - for postmenopausal women (55 - 70).
5. Silver formula suppository - for postmenopausal women (45-55).
6. Gold formula suppository - for pre & postmenopausal women (<45).
If you are over 45 or postmenopausal, you may have vaginal atrophy due to reduced estrogen. Certain health conditions may also cause vaginal atrophy, like birth control, IUD, breastfeeding, hysterectomy, and cancer therapy.
The Silk formula is suitable for most women over 55 to start first. Once you feel that your discomfort is relieved, you can move up a phase to Silver to achieve a more rapid recovery and easier maintenance. The time to stay at each phase is 1-4 months.
However, if you use Silk but feel burned or irritated, what to do next?
There are two possibilities that may cause your sensitivity to the product:
- You may have open wounds. If you recently had painful sex (in less than 1 week), you may have open wounds inside or around the vagina. These wounds can cause sensitivity to the treatment product. The solution is to wait for 1 week and remain abstinent for the wounds to heal. Then, you can restart using the product without a problem.
- If you do not have wounds, your vaginal atrophy may be more severe than the average of your age. Thus, choosing a product at a lower phase may be more appropriate for you to start.
What to do now to reduce the pain?
If the pain is unbearable, you can clean it to remove the suppository and its melted ingredients as much as you can to stop the irritation with water and soap. The pain may soon go away. The trade-off is that you will lose the nutrients delivered by the suppository.
If your pain is tolerable, you can hang on to it. It will become quiet down with time. The ingredients are all-natural and food-grade. They are just nutrients to help you recover from vaginal atrophy. Nothing is harmful.
To reduce the irritation, you can reduce the dosage by cutting the Silk suppository.
Here is how:
You can cut a suppository (with its shell) into 2 to 4 pieces. Refrigerating it first helps with cutting. Use 1/4 of the suppository once daily or every other day (if you are highly sensitive). If 1/4 suppository does not cause irritation, you can try 1/2 suppository. After a few weeks, you may gain tolerance and may not feel burning any longer.
Tip: Inserting the suppository in the daytime and getting up and walking around can cause the melted liquid to leak out. The leaked-out ingredients can cause burning to the opening of the vaginal skin. Therefore, when you insert the suppository, you need to insert it at bedtime and insert it deep inside and in a lying down position before sleep. This way, it can stay inside for the whole night. On the second morning, it is no longer irritative because its ingredients are largely absorbed. The tissue inside is not sensitive. The sensitive skin is the outside at the opening. To understand this, you may find this article helpful: I have been using NeuEve Silk. It is OK inside but why does it cause burning as it exits my body.
If you have tried the above methods but still feel burning, you may be a highly sensitive type. You can save the unfinished product in a refrigerator for future use and try Sensitive Silk and/or Sensitive Cream designed for highly sensitive women. These products are milder than regular products and can help highly sensitive women to start the treatment without feeling irritation.